PointLightLab Change Log
Changes for PointLightLab v4.5.5
Changed output of spacebar to output "SPC" rather than "@" symbol. Changed 3 paths in the xmlconfig.pllc file to explicit paths to the default installation directory. This will cause pain for people who install in a non standard location.
* Added "Move Dot to Index" Tool
* Added "Move Frame to Index" tool
* Added "Average two Dots to New Dot" tool
* Added "Average two Frame to New Frame" tool
* Reordered the Model Tools/Model Transforms Menu
* Added "Center Model Vertically (X axis) Only" tool
* Added "Center Model Horizontally (Y axis) only" tool
Changes for PointLightLab v4.5.2
After a long cycle of random releases and minor bug fixes, this is the current stable release. It still has a few sections that are in flux but its nice and stable. Major bugs have all been addressed and some sections of troublesome code replaced. No particularly new features have been added, rather the functionality of the existing features has been improved. There has also been a slew of minor bugs and annoyances addressed. Trying to list them here would be a challenge as the documentation got a little churned up in subversion and things got a little out of hand. Consider this release a "fresh start".
Changes for PointLightLab v4.1.0
This release includes the new working editors ( still a few rough edges ) with a slew of new tools for manipulating model files. This is the current focus of work.
The Player has a range of major and minor fixes. No new features have been implemented. This will be maintained with the current feature set until the editor is finally stabalised and feature complete.
There are a range of known bugs in this release already that are being squished at the moment.
NOTE - The Version numbering system has been changed. This is now v 4.1.0. That means its Version 4 of the feature set, Minor release 1Patch on the minor release 0.
The change log for this release is mostly internal bug fixes. Nothing exciting to anounce.
Changes for PointLightLab v4.0.13
This release has been mainly about rebuilding the editor and increasing the stability of the system a a whole. There have been some new features added ( as required throught the year ) but the bulk of the new feature requests have been delayed while the foundations were put in place. The next releases will bring in the new features which have been requested.
- Changes to the Script File Format
(format 4.2 - Not yet in service)
- Changed DuncansScriptFile to PLLScriptFile
- Changed Script Block to Stimuli Block
- Added "File Extension" to Restuls File
- Added whole "Hardware Configuration" section
- Added "Interstimuli block" definition section
- Added "Short Name" to Stimuli Block
- Added "RandomisePlayWeight" to stimuli block
- Changed the scriptGlobals section
- Changed the name of ScriptBlockPlayOrder to StimuliBlockPlayOrder
- Changed the StimuliblockPlayOrder options
- Added Script Events
- Changed Keycode setup to flexible number of keys
- Changed BlankShowPeriod to LeadingBlankshowPeriod and TrailingBlankShowPeriod
- Added additional Logical Validation to values in script file
- Number of Test Cycles must be >0
- Result File name Prefix cannot include invalid characters (:\/~)
- Pattern Show period and blank show period > 0
- Wide and High Dimensions> 0
- Dot Size >= 0.01
- Animation Speed >= 0.01
- Colour >=0 & <=255
- Screen Origin X & Y >=0
- Added additional Logical Validation to values in Experiment File
- Script File Name Length >0
- Config File Name Length >0
- Added additional Logical Validation to values in Audiotrack File
- Time values >1
- Loop Time >1
- Filename length >0
- Improved Exception handling and reporting Architecture
- Now reports more useful exceptions in a consistent way.. yay.
- BUG - Completely replaced code for generating display sequence ( sequential or random) as it was a perenial source of inconsistency. Now generates the sequence at initialisation which can be collected in the results file for verification of randomness. (via Audit Event option)
- BUG - Fixed Build Number system
- BUG - Fixed crash on freckle file name and active flag
- BUG - Fixed crash due to version 4.0 script format.
- BUG - Fixed problem with initialisation of the random sequence array that caused the wrong script block to be displayed compared to what was being reported by the Audio Events feature.
- BUG - Fixed Crash due to reading old config format as XML file.
- BUG - Rewrote handler for graphics mode selection. Now tries to decay the settings rather than terminating.
- BUG - Fixed pause key not pausing everything.
- BUG - fixed formatting bug on title screen.
- BUG - Not handling older video cards with mixed rendering support. Now handles some more gracefully. However some cards still lie about their capacity which presents a problem.
- Massive Re-write of the whole interface.
- Individual editor windows for different file types and file instances.
- Better handling of the experiment file structure
- Configuration files are now in XML format
- Generation of Movies from within the editor
- Visual editors for the script, audio track and model files.
- More seperation of code, less shared bugs.
- Cleaner seperation of tools to individual editors reduces size of menus.
- BUG/IMPROVEMENT - Opens external files using a new process rather than via the DOS shell
- UPDATE - added a number of Model transforms and operations.
- IMPROVMENT - Ability to set the default configuration file used in new experiments. (Options screen)
- Option to set the default install path used by various of the editors when looking for included files.
- Model editor has a whole slew of operations for manipulating model files.
- Does not rely on PLLDeployTool for registry manipulation anymore
- PLLDeployTool Removed from Installer
- BUG - now includes correct config file in correct format.
- Removed additional model files from installer. Will now be availible as seperate installation file or zip file from website.
- Removed the bulk of the data files from the base installation as they are mostly specific to various peoples experiments. They are now being released as seperate model packs.
No Changes (yet)
- Various minor updates.
Changes for PointLightLab v4.0.12
This is combined bugfix and feature release.
- FEATURE - Changed the file extension of the results files to .csv so files will automatically load into Microsoft excel without using the "External data import" wizard.
- FEATURE - Info screen now display information on the audio track file playing.
- BUG - Audio track events do not stop playing when stimuli ends. Fixed. They now stop playing before the tone period starts.
- BUG - Artificial limit on the size of a wav file that can be loaded for sound track. Fixed. Setting is not exposed via the config file and has been tested up to 50meg wav files.
- BUG - Changed the header line of the audit information to include a comma rather than a colon for better formatting in Microsoft Excel.
- BUG - Changed some text in the tree view when editing a script file. "Advance Mode" and "Script Block Play Order".
- BUG - Still dropping records occasionally from the results file. This has been a recurring bug that was extreemly hard to replicate. With the help of the new Audit events feature it has been tracked down and finaly fixed. The cause of the bug was when a keystroke was received during the tone period, it would wait in a buffer and be read as a valid keystroke at the end of the following pattern show period. This caused the blank period to be skipped and no record to be recorded as the keystroke had not actually arrived during the pattern period and the blank period had been skipped. Result... no record for that run through. This bug was more common when the pattern show period and the blank show period were set to quite small amounts. Test subjects with poor reaction times would be more likely to hit keys during the tone show period. Now all keystrokes during the tone show period are ignored correctly.
- BUG - If the results file path in the script file is not set to anything it will prevent the results file being created and generate a false message on the End screen. Fixed. Now setting the results path to nothing will be treated as a valid relative path.
- BUG - Keystroke during the blank period will generate a record with the wrong response time. Fixed.
- FEATURE - Tool to change the colour of all model dots in a pattern layer in one action.(More)
- FEATURE - Tool to generate multiple pattern layers in one action. This includes the facility to generate the pattern layers with sequential values for all numeric settings. (More)
- FEATURE - Tool for viewing of a model file in the editor. The file can be opened and each frame viewed along with some basic statistics. (More)
- FEATURE - Tool to visually edit audiotrack files and sync with model files. This is available from the "Visual Editor" button when an audio track file is open.
- FEATURE - Experiment files can be run from the editor via the Experiment Menu. This is active when an Experiment file is open for editing.
- FEATURE - Load last result file into Microsoft Excel. This is now an option from the Analysis menu. Additional features will be added here in the next few versions.
- FEATURE - Save a snapshot from the model viewer. Model files can be opened and viewed in the model viewer and a snapshot saved as a jpeg.
- FEATURE - Easy access to the manual from the help menu. (Also the home page)
- FEATURE - When applying the clone script block tool, if there is only one script block, it is automatically cloned without showing the dialog.
- BUG - Editor - Audiotrack menu is now showing only at the appropriate times.
- BUG - Editor not saving "Selective" value for Model Dot Visibility. Fixed.
- BUG - Relative paths are changed to absolute paths. Fixed. Now relative paths are saved as relative paths and upon opening a file containg relative paths, they are not changed or displayed as absolute paths.
- BUG - Bulk Pattern Layer tool not setting dirty file flag when changes are made to the file which prevents the save feature detecting that there has been a change to the file. Fixed.
- BUG - Bulk pattern layer crashes when inconsistent number of layers. Fixed.
- BUG - Script block visualiser gets stuck and will not close. Fixed.
- BUG - Audio visual editor is not responding to the loading of a model file. Fixed.
- BUG - "Clone Script Block" always clones first script block. Fixed. Now clones the correct block.
- BUG - Audio track menu is not being hidden correctly. Fixed. All menus are now hidden except when editing the correct file type.
- BUG - Automaticlly saving changes when opening another file. Fixed. The save is now optional.
- BUG - Creation of new files is not setting the file name label correctly. Fixed.
- BUG - Not saving Audiotrack files. Fixed. Audio track files are now saved in the correct format.
- BUG - When opening audio track files repeatedly, the number of audio events displayed in the tree view grows by the number of events in the new file. Fixed. Data structure is now being cleared on re-loading of files
- BUG - Order of the OK and Cancel buttons on the "Clone Script Block" Dialog were reversed. Changed for more intuative clicking.
- BUG - Attempting to set the Animation Speed caused a crash. Fixed.
- BUG - Audiotrack Visual editor - If model file is already open and click the "Model Viewer" button again will crash. Fixed.
- Updated with new script file features
- Updated with Config file information
- Updated with Model File information
- Some sections removed
- Many minor adjustments
- Sample5.plls absolute result path changed to a relative path
- Sample6.plls absolute paths changed to relative paths
- defaultconfig.pllc has a new value "SoundFileSizeLImit" added.
- defaultMovieConfig.pllc has a new value "SoundFileSizeLimit" added
- Minor changes to the notes in both default config files.
No Changes (yet)
- Change Log now a stand alone page
- Inclusion of the bug list and feature request list on the future direction page
- Download page has been simplified
- Tutorials have been written for new features
Changes for PointLightLab v4.0.10 & v4.0.11
This is a feature release.
- Bug fix - intermittently dropping records in the results file. This has been addressed with a mutex to prevent multiple system events colliding under unusual circumstances.
- Feature - Event audit information can now be included in the results file for debugging purposes. The events which are included are; keystrokes, stimuli changes and result record commits.
- Feature - Selective frame based hiding of pattern layer dots. This permits time based control of the visibility of dots.
- Feature - Model file format has been updated from old delimited text file to the XML format. Updated versions of the existing model library are being shipped with the latest release. Exiting script files should work without changes where they are using models from the <install>\Data\ directory. Where the scripts include modified model files which are not in the <install>\Data\ directory, a feature has been added to the editor ( Model Tools Menu) which will convert the old Model file format to the new XML format.
- Feature - Script file format has been updated to v4.1 to include the new Audit feature and the Selective dot hiding feature. Both Script formats are still accepted by the Editor and on opening a v4.0 script file, it will be converted to a v4.1 format. This can then be saved.
- Minor tweaks to the Test Info display to handle new feature. ( Selective )
- BUG - Browse button for experiment files now shows the correct file filter.
- BUG - Freckle file names in inactive freckle effects are still being validated and would stop the script running. Inactive files are now ignored.
- BUG - Incorrect number of Model dots in a script file would not cause a useful exception message. Now causes an informative message.
- BUG - Pressing F3 during the splash screens caused an exception. Screen capture is now working during all the splash screens.
- Incremented version number to match Package version number.
- Feature - Open, Create New, Edit & Save Model files.
- Feature - Open, Create New, Edit & Save Experiment files.
- Feature - Open, Create New, Edit & Save Audiotrack files.
- Feature - Convert v4.0 Script File Format to v4.1 automatically on opening a v4.0 format script file.
- Feature - Convert delimited text format Model files to new v4.0 XML format.
- Feature - Edit tools for Audio track files.
- Add Event - Adds a new Audiotrack event to the list of events.
- Remove Event - Deletes the selected Audiotrack event from the list of events.
- Feature - Edit tools for Script files.
- Clone Script Block - Copies an existing script block and adds it to the end of the list of script blocks in the editor.
- Insert Default Script Block - Creates a default "empty" script block and adds it to the end of the list of script blocks in the editor.
- Remove Selected Script Block - Deletes the selected script block from the list of script blocks in the editor.
- Move Selected Script Block Up In Order - Changes the order of the selected script block by moving it one position up the list of script blocks in the editor. This allows control of the order in which script blocks are played when in SEQUENTIAL play mode.
- Insert Default Text Layer - Adds a new Text layer to the selected Script block.
- Remove Selected Text Layer - Deletes the selected Text layer from the list of Text layers in the specific script block.
- Move Selected Text Layer Up In Order - Changes the order of the selected Text layer by moving it one position up in the list of Text layers for the specified Script block. This allows control of the rendering z order of the Text layers. Text layers are rendered in descending order ( The last Text layer will be rendered onto previous ones)
- Insert Default Pattern Layer - Adds a new Pattern layer to the selected Script block.
- Remove Selected Pattern Layer - Deletes the selected Pattern Layer from the list of Pattern Layers in the specific Script block.
- Move Selected Pattern Layer Up In Order - Changes the order of the selected Pattern Layer by moving it one position up in the list of Pattern Layers for the specific Script Block. The allows control of the render z order of the pattern layers. (The last Pattern layer will be rendered onto previous ones. )
- Insert Default Model Dot - Adds a new Model Dot to the selected Pattern Layer. This will only have a useful effect where the animation file from which the Pattern layer is generated contains data for the dot. The number of Model dots should match the number in the Animation File specified.
- Remove Selected Model Dot - Deletes the selected Model dot from the list of model dots for the specific Pattern Layer in the specific Script Block. The number of Model dots should match the number in the Animation File Specified for the particular Pattern Layer.
- Insert Default Audiotrack Layer - Adds a new Audiotrack layer to the selected Script block.
- Remove Selected Audiotrack Layer - Deletes the selected Audiotrack layer from the specific Script block.
- Insert Default Noise Layer - Adds a new Noise layer to end of the list of Noise Layers in the selected Script block.
- Remove Selected Noise Layer - Deletes the selected Noise layer from the list of Noise layers in the specific Script block.
- Move Selected Noise Layer Up In Order - Changes the order of the selected Noise layer by moving it one position up in the list of Noise layers for the specific Script block. This allows control of the render z order of the Noise layers. (The lower Noise layers will be rendered onto previous ones. )
- BUG - Windows menu not working. Now works.
- BUG - Some node text colours not being set correctly. Fixed.
- Incremented version number to match package version number.
- Includes new versions of the Model data files and have had the old format versions removed.
- Includes the DTD files for the New Script File Format ( v4.1) and the new XML Model file format (v4.0).
- Includes Sample scripts (Samples 5 & 6) that demonstrates the selective hiding of stimulus points over time and the Event Audit feature
- Includes the updated PLLEditor
- Includes the updated PLLPlayer
No Changes (yet)
- New Sample file ( Sample5.plls) that demonstrates the selective hiding of stimulus points over time.
- New Sample file ( Sample6.plls) that demonstrates the Event Audit feature of the result file.
- Minor changes to the other sample files.
- All Model files have been replaced with XML format versions that contain the same data.
- Default Hardware configuration file has a minor change to the path to the default Screen Capture directory.
- New defaultmovieconfig.pllc file included for generation of movies from scripts.
- BUG - Absolute paths in sample files fail when installed in non default directory. Replaced with relative paths.
No Changes (yet)
- Updated the download page and the change log
- Updated the Overview page
- Added screen shots to the overview page ( with display pages for the screen shots)
- Updated the news page
- Changed the style sheets and images.
Changes for PointLightLab v4.0.9
This is a bug fix release which addresses a number of serious bugs in the Editor test version.
- Bug when saving changes to an exiting file or saving a new file. It did not correctly update changes.
- Bug with the way the DTD file name was saved in the script file. Now uses the windows registry to hold the absolute path to the install directory.
- Bug with the test menu command which would not try to open a file even though it had been saved.
- Editor window is no longer forced on top of all other windows.
- Installer now includes a custom action exe to write registry values and remove them on Rollback or Uninstall. (PLLDeployTool.exe)
Sample/ Media Files
Changes for PointLightLab v4.0.8
- Editor has been updated to work with the v4 script files
- Editor can now launch Script files for testing
- Editor can create, edit and write script file (v4.0)
Changes for PointLightLab v4.0.7
- Test info display ( F1 key during stimulus display) now displays details about all layers in the current script block. In combination with the F4 key which toggles between layers.
- Test info now displays on top of the dot pattern for easier reading.
- Results file name is now displayed on the end screen upon successful save.
- BUG - Model looping attribute now works correctly for looping and non-looping.
- BUG - Model dots can now be turned invisible using the "Visible" attribute.
- BUG - Test info does not crash if no noise layer in current script block
- ISSUE - Third key was turned on in the default configuration file. Now turned off.
- BUG - Report file generator was crashing if a text layer was not present.
- BUG - Test info was crashing if a text layer was not present.
- BUG - The AnimationSpeed attribute was missing for Noise layers and broken for the Pattern Layer.
- ScriptFileFormat DTD updated to remove inconsistencies and add AnimationSpeed attribute.
- Many additional small changes to the code base
- Index has been rebuilt to remove all the cross references
- Added AnimationSpeed attribute to the NoiseLayer tag
- Reformatted the Table of Content
Editor (Note the editor is a work in progress)
- Editor now loads and displays an XML Script file
- Added a new sample (Sample4.plls) that demonstrates Audiotrack Layers
- Cleaned up all sample files and removed some inconsistencies
- Added the AnimationSpeed attribute to the sample files
Bench Test Files
- Updated all files to include new AnimationSpeed attribute
- Added more tests to exercise the remaining script file features